Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Talky Tuesday: Overdue Like Whoa 101 in 1001 Check-In


This blog has been quiet for a while now (is that why my Etsy shop is so dead, too?) (#thingsthatmakeyougohmmm). I hate that, though. While other work has picked up (yay!), the truth is that the reason I've been quiet here is because I suck at time management, not because I've been busy in any meaningful way. So let's come back to 2016's word of the year and reintegrate that into my life or however the heck frou-frou life coaches would put it.

I won't bore you by slapping my entire 101 in 1001 list in this entry and calling it quits. You can read it over here, if you really want to know what I'm trying to do with my life over the medium-term. I mostly want to talk about it in a big picture sense.

1. First of all, I'm almost at the end of my 1001 days and there's a whole bunch of goals that I know I'll miss, most of which constitute some kind of daily or weekly habit: checking in, #resisting, etc. The one I'm most bummed about is, I guess, my 1001 sun salutations goal. It didn't seem ambitious when I wrote the list, because that comes down to just one sun salutation every day, and that's easy, right? That's like a minimally easy goal, totally! I was already on board the yoga train when I wrote the list and that was going to continue, right?


Bzzt! Nope, guess not. And I should be doing yoga, since my running habit has stuck in a serious way. I'm fat, but probably more importantly, I am seriously deconditioned and don't have the kind of muscle strength I should if I want to keep running without fucking up my ankles or knees. (Knees, realistically: that seems to run [hah!] in the family.) I need to sit with why I've opted out of yoga, an activity I legitimately love.




2. Part of that might be that I'm actually literally sitting—meditating, that is. This wasn't a habit I had on my 101 in 1001 list, but I just picked it up (again) organically. So even though I'm not practicing yoga at the moment, I'm still getting a daily chill pill. This without actually adding it as an official goal. I might add it, just so I can have the satisfaction of crossing off something I'm already doing.


Image courtesy GarboFromHungary


3. Speaking of new habits, running is now a thing I do. And this fat kid jogged a non-stop mile for the first time in her life, maybe, just a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I get to call myself a runner now? I should make it to Mordor (FINALLY!) by the end of this list!


Copenhagen Collage2
By Dr. Blofeld [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

4. A goal that I'm going to be able to check off in a few weeks is visiting continental Europe. I have a 6-hour layover in Copenhagen en route to the US, and I fully intend to go out and see as much of the city as I can between my flights. It's arguably not a true "continental" visit, as Denmark is still part of Scandinavia, but it'll still be a new city and a new country for me, so that counts!


5. I still haven't read the handful of books left on my (altered) TIME Top 100 list. Still! But it's going to happen, This year's my year. I can feel it. The good news reason behind why I've been so pokey with the end of this list is that I've been diving into good books thanks to NetGalley, Blogging For Books, and my Facebook book club. I originally decided to tackle the TIME Top 100 list when I was fresh out of university and didn't know what to read next. Now college is far behind me and I'm pretty good at finding books, so I don't need that guiding hand as much anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment