Friday, July 21, 2017

Friday 5: Don't Go There

Where were you forbidden (or too frightened) to go when you were growing up, and why?

There was nothing I was ever expressly forbidden from going, but I was always obsessed with a local paper mill that had stood abandoned my entire life. I can't find a photo to share here, even though it's prime urban exploration fodder, so I'll have to make do with photos of a sister plant across the river in New Jersey.


What’s the naughtiest thing you’ve done in the past couple of years?

I totally bought a reduced fare SL ticket when I wasn't eligible for it! More than once!



Under what circumstances have you gone into a place you knew you weren’t supposed to enter?

I can't think of any, actually?


Which aisle in your supermarket do you just about never go down?

The pet food aisle. The baby food aisle. The canned-fruits-for-baking aisle.

Here's one for the "little differences" department: canned fruits and vegetables were pretty normal for me growing up in the US. A couple of Green Giant cans of vegetables were always a side for dinner (unless our own vegetable garden was in season) and the little Del Monte tins of diced pears and peaches were a common packed lunch accessory. I didn't realize that frozen vegetables were a thing until, well, probably older than I should have been. But in Sweden, the canned fruits live in exile with pie crusts and chocolate chips, and I don't think canned vegetables even exist?


Not counting traffic situations, when did you last willfully disobey something you read on a sign?

Like property demarcations, signs are something I'm pretty good at obeying signs. Apologies to the Five Man Electrical Band.


No comments:

Post a Comment