Wednesday, June 7, 2017

What I Watched: Wonder Woman



I never got around to binge-reading all things Wonder Woman like I set out to do I don't know how long ago. First I was lazy, and then I had a sinking feeling in my gut when I realized Zack Snyder was set to write the script, and then when willow-y and superlatively gorgeous Gal Gadot was cast. Wonder Woman does not need or deserve the Suckerpunch treatment.


(Me: Ugh, can you imagine if Zack Snyder had directed Wonder Woman?
JV: "Suckerpunch 2: The Wonder Years.")

I was ready to be disappointed, so I didn't invest any of my time going full-on fan mode. I mean, I still want to get my hands on the New 52 run of Wonder Woman because I hear it's really good, but that's a "whenever" sort of goal. Still, June 2 rolled around and I hadn't seen a movie in theaters since the Ghostbusters reboot, so why not?

But script doctors had happened and the good sis Patty Jenkins stepped in and all was right and good with the world.

I am not really interested in superhero ensemble movies, so I'm not going to be seeing the Justice League movie anytime soon; Wonder Woman's brief appearance in Batman v Superman was not enough to get me to watch at all, let alone in theaters. And when (and it's almost definitely a "when," not "if," at this point) Wonder Woman 2 happens, if it's an excuse for a Justice League movie I probably won't see it either. But in this one glorious moment, Wonder Woman gets her own damn movie and it's great, and Gal Gadot was great. I might have cried a whole bunch of times for assorted reasons. I might go see it again.






No comments:

Post a Comment