Friday, September 30, 2016

Friday 5: Impromptu

What’s something you’ve created while improvising in the kitchen?

Image courtesy Rolfe Kolbe

Nothing, really. I'm pretty free-wheeling about what I put in a smoothie, but I don't think that really counts. I also use make liberal use of gochujang in completely unrelated cuisine.


In your work, how good are you at winging it?

Teachers wing it all day, every day. That's not to say we don't plan. But whenever you try out a new lesson or activity, you really have no idea how long it'll take or how quickly students will finish something. (Humblebrag: when I was getting my CELTA, one of my instructors called me out on not planning my lessons more thoroughly. "You're good at improvising, but you shouldn't rely on that.")


When you travel, how much of your trip do you make up as you go?

Maybe about 50%? I tend to have a firm grasp on where I'll be and (if applicable) who I'll be seeing, but I keep things pretty open-ended when it comes to activities. I'm going to be in NYC next weekend, for example, and the only activities I'm pretty set on are going to a Korean spa (Groupon!) because I need to relax, and watching the second round of presidential debates because I am a glutton for punishment.


How structured are your plans for this weekend?

Pretty structured: work in the mornings, a NaNoWriMo meetup, and Swedish homework.


What’s something you’ve discovered while wandering around in your neighborhood?

Neo-Nazi propaganda. :C

2 comments: