Friday, August 12, 2016

Friday 5: Down the Rabbit Hole



What was the subject of one of your memorable YouTube holes?

I am averse to Internet video like no one else. If you embed or share a video, I'm probably not going to watch it. I deliberately seek out videos on YouTube (and have recently become enamored with BookTube!), but I rarely binge watch anything or watch anything spontaneously. I guess it's a combination of having the s-l-o-w-e-s-t dial-up in the world growing up and reading faster than people can (reasonably) talk: I'd rather read what you think than hear what you think. If the BookTubers I follow all decided to start blogs instead of make videos, I switch over in an instant.

The only genre of video I can get somewhat sucked into are jewelry tutorials. Even then, I often skip ahead to the part that's the most confusing/that I forgot/that I was wondering about.


What was your most recent Wikipedia hole like?

It was probably related to research for a birthstones post. I need to keep going with those.


What’s a recipe you got from the internet and actually prepared? How did it turn out?

Shakshuka by Calliopejen1
Image courtesy Calliopejen1
I can't stand Pinterest anymore because it's full of hyper-Christian* soccer moms (a sign that I need to really just destroy my "following" list and start over), but it was worth it just to stumble across shakshuka. I prefer to make mine with a couple tablespoons of gochujang rather than tomato paste, because otherwise the dish is a bit bland (even with the bell peppers), but this has become one of my go-to recipes.


What apparently little-known website do you enjoy?

Hm, "apparently"? I can't think of any. I'm not much of an Internet hipster. I'm still on LiveJournal; does that count?


What apparently popular website can you just not get into?

Pottermore (at this point I think I'm stuck getting inundated with ~~~new~~ Harry Potter stuff basically for the rest of my life).

Most social media except Facebook and Twitter.



*There are chill, progressive, and philosophical Christians in the world, and I have no beef with them. But they do not seem to be the kind of Christians taking to Pinterest, to put it diplomatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment