Monday, March 7, 2016

Newly Listed: Pink and Turquoise Pi Bracelet

After a winter that felt bleak and endless, it finally feels like spring will be here soon. I can tell I'm anticipating it by the colors I'm using lately: teal, pink, gold, turquoise, fire engine red. This pink and turquoise pi bracelet is a perfect example of that:

Pink and turquoise math sciart bracelet with digits of pi, perfect for math teachers and grads.
Pink and Turquoise Pi Bracelet by Kokoba
Is it just me? Is anyone else thirsty, almost dying, for color?

I think I'm still in my "button period." I love bead stringing, still, and I enjoy stretching my skill set with maille, but I love the look of these "floating" beads. I love the boho mulistrand look and I love the contrast between the beads and the threading material. When you use regular stringing wire, you usually go through a lot of work to hide the stringing material. But when you use cotton, or linen, or hemp, suddenly the stringing material is a key focal point.

Pink and turquoise math sciart bracelet with digits of pi, perfect for math teachers and grads.

I love that button. I saw it at the store, and loved the sparkly pink/teal 90s throwback vibe and bought the rest of their stock. Did I know what I was going to use them for? No. But then a few months later I bought those hot pink Czech glass beads and it all came together.

The only problem with the floating bead technique is: how can I account for 0? I work with pi mostly because it's everyone's favorite irrational number, but also because it's convenient in terms of design. Look at the first handful of digits:

3.14159265358...

That's about as far as I ever get in a piece, and usually I stop somewhere at "3.14159." There's not a zero in sight, so my philosophical quandary over how to represent 0 in this schema doesn't really apply. That gets hairier with Avogadro's number or G. So far, I've simply used a different color to function as 0 placeholders. It adds a nice accent and it fits the logical explanation of each digit being represented by X number of $color beads.

In this Avogadro's number bracelet, for example, the gold-colored beads are the 0 placeholders and the green wooden beads are the digits.
I've thought about using just knots as placeholders, too. I guess that's an aesthetic that could work, but I'm not sure.

Today is the last day of #Sciart Tweetstorm II Electric Boogaloo. Anyone following me on Twitter has had regularly scheduled doses of sciart in their faces, thanks to me figuring out how to use HootSuite. If you've never visited #sciart on Twitter, today is the day to do it! So many talented, multifaceted artists to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment