Monday, January 11, 2016

Newly Listed: Speed of Light in Snow Quartz and Faceted Amethyst

Back when I was working on SUPER SEKRIT PROJECT (it's done now; all that's left is to count down the days until I can share it with you!), I bought a whole bunch of a kind of stone entirely new to me: snow quartz (also called snowy quartz, milky quartz, and white quartz). It was something I could use in so many projects, when moonstone was too expensive and when mother-of-pearl was too warm.

In so many projects, it turned out, that I used it all up before writing a geo-shopping post about it. Oops!

In the meantime, feast your eyes on this latest piece of sciart jewelry: the speed of light in snow quartz, with faceted amethyst acting as spacers.

Physics teacher steminism sciart gift: speed of light science bracelet jewelry
Speed of light bracelet by Kokoba
This is only the second speed of light piece in my shop and (according to my photo backlog) the third I've ever done. How could I forget one of the most important physical constants there is? I don't know, but I'm determined to rectify that situation.


This would be a great gift for any physics nerds or hard SF fans you know, whether for Valentine's day or for a February birthday (since amethyst is February's birthstone).

Last week, I decided to dig on Etsy for some #sciart finds. This week I originally planned on searching on Pinterest, but you know what? Either Pinterest users are idiots, or there is something fucky with their algorithms (why not both?), because the vast majority of stuff that turns up when you search for "#sciart" is fairies and fantasy things. And, for some reason, fashion color palette advice based on your "season."

Meanwhile, if you search #sciart on Twitter, you get some really nifty new stuff! Like neurons painted in sumi-e style:




Some immunology jewelry from the fantastic Vexed Muddler:



And some breathtaking marine biology:


So, sorry Pinterest: you were a cool idea but for now I'm going to stick to recipes, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment