Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Etsy Shop Up and Running: Fibonacci Necklace in Kambaba Jasper, Hematite, and Mother-of-Pearl

The Kokoba Etsy shop is back on its feet! First my life was crazy, then I put together a huuuge (for me) wholesale order and put the shop on hold for a week, then life was crazy again, and now finally I have the time to list and promote some new STEM jewelry and #SciArt creations. Hopefully I'll also have some time to get back to making stuff, too. That's the fun part after all!

I'll also be sharing what I already have done and up for sale in the shop over here on the blog. For starters, here is one of my favorite new pieces:

Math Jewelry: Green and Black #SciArt Fibonacci Necklace by Kokoba
Fibonacci numbers in hematite and black mother-of-pearl with dark green Kamaba jasper spacers


I had been sitting on the large Kambaba jasper ovals for a year years. I loved them, but I wasn't sure what to do with them and I never seemed to have anything that matched. After I finished a necklace for myself for a friend's wedding, I realized the design would be perfect for these large, eye-catching ovals. A little digging and I found some hematite and dyed mother-of-pearl to complement them (yeah, hematite—the necklace has a bit of weight to it!).

Math Jewelry: Green and Black  #SciArt Fibonacci Necklace by Kokoba

You can read more about my decision to use Fibonacci numbers and mirror symmetry instead of digits of irrationals in this post on the original project.

This particular piece features Fibonacci numbers in mirror symmetry around one central piece of Kambaba jasper (the one I thought was prettiest). I omitted the repetition of "1" because things just became too long and heavy, but working outwards from that central oval you have: 1 hematite bead, then 2 dyed mother-of-pearl beads, then 3 of the hematite/mother-of-pearl mix, then 5, then 8.

Personally, I adore this pattern and I want to sit down and make a few more necklaces in this style. It's a great way to use up this or that ONE really cool funky bead you have left but don't know what to do with. And I end up with a lot of those, since I'm not (yet) much of a bulk buyer.

If you like this necklace as much as I do, you can bop on over to my Etsy shop and make it a part of your wardrobe. If you're hungry for more intersections of STEM and art, check out the #SciArt hashtag on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment