Monday, July 20, 2015

New Design: Woven Hemp

Go on, who among you didn't hit a hemp and/or friendship bracelet phase in your youth? I know you did. I did, too.

After I bought some hemp for my knotted twine and (faux) pearls idea, I had a lot left over. Like, a lot. And I could have done more, but I wanted to branch out. My big issue with that design is that twine and hemp are too heavy to string through actual pearls, in addition to most conventionally-drilled beads, so if I wanted to go for that look I would have to use something imitation. (The ones pictured in that image are plastic.)

Rather than use imitation pearls, I decided to see what else I could do with these supplies. I've made a few wrap bracelets, like this blue and black pi piece, but that was about it. Then I remembered all the bracelets I would weave over a couple of summers at the beach. A bit of Googling over how to make a square knot, and I was back in business, though I was surprised at much I remembered!

A black and gold woven hemp pi bracelet. Math jewelry is a unique gift for graduation, birthdays, or teachers!
Pi. My square knots need a little practicing, though.

A black and hot pink DNA double helix spiral bracelet. Science jewelry makes a unique birthday or graduation gift for biology teachers or geneticists!
Yet another DNA bracelet. I'm just seeing double helix spirals everywhere!


I don't know if this is a style I want to continue to offer. I like the wood and hemp look but I wonder if it's too much of a departure from my usual style?

No comments:

Post a Comment