Saturday, May 24, 2014

Beaded "Chan Luu" Wrap Bracelet: Second Experiment (Hemp)

Whenever I discover a new technique, I can get kind of obsessed. After my first Chan Luu bracelet attempt went so well I decided to try another. 

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the last of the leather I bought. I do, however, have a whole lot of hemp (for another style I'm working on, but more on that another time). Even though all the bracelet styles I had seen earlier had used leather or faux leather, why wouldn't hemp work? I couldn't think of a reason, so I sat down and made one.

A Chan Luu inspired wrap bracelet with red creek jasper, hemp, and pi.


A Chan Luu inspired wrap bracelet with red creek jasper, hemp, and pi.

Fortunately this hemp is nice and soft, not rough and itchy, so it's very comfortable to wear. As you can infer from the photos, the hemp also has a little less structural integrity than the leather, so it drapes and bends much easier. After wearing both, I do think I prefer the hemp one, but everyone has different tastes. 

I'm also a lot happier with how the hemp one came out aesthetically: no goofs in the beadweaving, and no weird distortions due to the two different bead sizes.

Oh, I almost forgot! Of course this is a pi bracelet. Pi is spelled out in the red creek jasper beads; the white generic stone ones are the spacers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment