Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pantone Color Palettes

On a whim I decided to Google Pantone's projected color palettes for this winter. Not because I am any fashionista, mind you; anyone who dresses like this is not someone who cares:

Promotional Jameson t-shirt? Thrift-store capris? Five dollar bag?
 I'm good to go!

Rather, I have a very limited idea of what colors go together, or (for that matter) what colors even exist. I thought browsing next season's color palettes would be, if nothing else, good inspiration for future projects.

I got all of these from the Redo It Design blog. I've pinned the palettes (and some other things) to a new Pinterest board, Crafty Inspiration. Here are my favorites:

Pantone winter 2013 color palette

Considering my love affair with mookaite, is it any surprise that I love this palette? Love love love. Five or six of the colors here you can find in just one sixteen inch strand! For the dark green, forest or fancy jasper would do; for that blue, sodalite or dumortierite would probably work. Charoite or amethyst would be good if you needed your purple to be extra purple-y (as opposed to mauve). Anything in any of these colors = I will wear it. Now.


This one is nice, too, though I would be less inclined to wear it myself. I don't wear a lot of blue unless it's with another, brighter color. But as for mineral matching: blue lace agate, blue chalcedony, sodalite, lapis, and dumortierite would all be good color choices for this one. Mother-of-pearl would work for the light cream color at the top, and you could use hematite (or, again, mookaite!) for the gray.


This one is less to my personal tastes, but it's good to get out of your comfort zone, right? I think this will the first of these I experiment with once I have the time and space to start beading again. Rhodochrosite, rhodonite, rose quartz, or cherry quartz would be good for that stand-out pink at the top, and a nice dark jade would be perfect for that green at the bottom. Citrine would work well  for the yellow in the middle, and then round out the purples (of all hues) with amethyst. Throw in some sodalite or dumotierite for the darkest blue. The lighter blue still eludes me: too light for the aforementioned blue minerals, but too dark for blue lace agate or blue chalcedony. 

Which color palette will you be rocking this winter?

Oh my God, I just realized what a fantastic pun I just made up there. Rocking? I blog about rocks? Get it?

On a scale of 1 - 10, how awful was that joke?

1 comment: