Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What I'm Reading: Blood Meridian

Blood Meridian Cormac McCarthy
I'm still working on Creativity, but in my 101 in1001 list I'm also set on reading TIME magazine's 100 Greatest Novels of the 20th Century. Blood Meridian is one of them.

I'm not terribly impressed so far. Not because it's "gritty" or "violent," or because of problematic race issues or whatever. It's just not well written. When I say "not well written," I mean: it's often difficult to know who is talking or what is going on. It is sometimes poorly-written in the most basic of ways: failing to communicate your meaning to the reader. There's also a few odd departures from established style conventions for no real reason at all, but I can overlook those. I can't overlook conversations between three or more people I have to read and re-read to properly understand because there's no quotation marks or dialog tags.


No comments:

Post a Comment