Sunday, May 20, 2012

Art-o-Mat

Color me pleasantly surprised!

I just came across the "artomat" project today. You guys remember cigarette vending machines?


The local pizza place from my childhood (since closed) had one.  The whole restaurant was a bit dusty and retro, with lots of wood paneling and curio cabinets with tacky knick-knacks. The vending machine fit right in. I remember being fascinated by it because at that point they were getting phased out, so it was the only one I had ever seen.  What do you do with these machines that you're no longer allowed to have?

Enter Art-o-mat, a project to reclaim these vending machines as a way to dispense original art:


This has been going on since 1997! What's double-cool is that out of the four machines installed in my home state of PA, three of them are right where I live! I don't know how I missed out on these but I am definitely going to keep my eyes peeled when I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment